Monday, July 28, 2014

Week 11 Day 21 & 22 (July 22 & 23): Let the digitization begin

So last week was quite the experience. On Tuesday Dr. Scot French, Christine and I headed to the public library in downtown Orlando to begin scanning some of the photos and older documents from the Vanderpool family file as well as some xerox copies from a few discontinued newspapers and an original copy of a newspaper from Eatonville. Last week I mentioned the Melrose Center and sorry for the mistake but we were actually heading to the main building on the 4th floor.

So we arrive on the 4th floor and right by the elevator is this huge scanner. I mean this is no ordinary scanner but this clearly really expensive and high tech machine. It was pretty impressive to see it in action. About half an hour in, Laura Cepero joined us and got a pretty good idea of what we would be sending her way so all of these scans could be uploaded through RICHES. To make a very long morning and story short, it took us about an hour to understand how the scanner work and to get it to the correct settings. It took another 2 - 2 1/2 hours to finish scanning everything.

While the work clearly wasn't hard it was exhausting since we were trying to get every detail correct. I am really proud of the work we did and the staff at the library were incredibly helpful and really interested in the items we brought along with us. I really could not have done all of this by myself if it wasn't for the team effort. So a major thank you to everyone who was there with me.

Wednesday was a pretty short day due to a death in my family so for the short time I was there I spent it updating the spreadsheet attached to the images taken for the documents in the Vanderpool file.

Before I finish up, here are a few photos I took on Tuesday.


The Orlando Public Library


The scanner of all scanners


Dr. French and one of the staff members trying to help us figure out how to work the scanner (that's Christine in the background)


Dr. French saving all of our images

So that's all for now. By the way this is my last week interning at the MHM. I'm sure it will be bitter sweet saying goodbye. This internship really went by so quickly. 

-Ambar the History Student


No comments:

Post a Comment